This week saw the debut of the Yamaha R-N301 network stereo receiver, adding a new lower-cost model below the $599 R-N500 network receiver released a little over a year ago. This new Yamaha R-N301 price point is just $299.95, making it one of the most impressive, lowest-priced two-channel receivers on the market that includes network streaming capabilities. Among those capabilities is AirPlay with Pandora, Spotify Connect, and vTuner Internet radio; as well as DLNA connectivity to let you stream audio from connected PCs and NAS drives. The free Yamaha Network Player Controller app lets you stream from your phone to the R-N301 stereo receiver easily as well as adjust basic settings on the device on both iOS and Android devices.
Audiophiles will love pairing this new stereo receiver with a nice pair of bookshelf speakers or even tower speakers. The Yamaha R-N301 delivers 100 watts x 2-channels of power into 8-ohms. The R-N301’s digital to analogue converter (DAC) works with lossless FLAC and WAV files up to 192 kHz / 24-bit. That makes it perfect for use with high resolution streaming audio content. For legacy components, the R-N301 also has digital optical TOSlink and digital coaxial inputs for audio playback from a CD player, BD player, or even the audio output from an HDTV.
The Yamaha R-N301 price point is impressive because you get a stereo receive with a lot of power, but also some decent aesthetics. For example, the front panel is textured with a black hairline finish, and Yamaha used control knobs and buttons that harken back to the days when less was more. (For the most part, in HiFi, it still is!)
- DLNA Version: 1.5
- File support: MP3, WMA, MPEG4, AAC, WAV, FLAC
- Apple AirPlay
- Output Power (8 ohms; 40 Hz – 20 kHz, 0.2% THD): 100 W + 100 W (0.2% THD)
- High Dynamic Power / Channel (8 / 6 / 4 / 2 ohms): 105 / 125 / 150 / 178 W
- Digital Inputs: Optical + Coaxial
- THD (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz): 0.2% (50 W / 8 ohms)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100 dB (CD Direct on, 200 mV)
- Audio In / Out: 6 / 1
- FM 50dB Quieting Sensitivity (IHF, 1 kHz, 100% Mod., Mono): 3 µV (20.8 dBf)
- FM Signal-to-Noise Ratio (Mono/Stereo): 72 dB / 70 dB
- Standby Power Consumption: 0.1 W (Network Standby mode on = 2.0 W)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8” x 5-1/2” x 13-1/8”
- Weight: 15.3 lbs
Yamaha R-N301 Price and Availability
The Yamaha R-N301 price is just $299.95, and the new network stereo receiver is available now from authorized dealers.